But back to my quest. There have been a number of misses at estate sales the past couple of years, some of which I've detailed in this blog. But this past Friday, I finally made a score at a home in Lemay on Buckley Meadows Drive. I initially saw this lamp on estatesales.net:
I headed over with my second oldest son around 9:30 a.m. when the auction had been already been open for a half an hour. I wasn't hopeful the lamp would still be there, but it was. It looked a little rough, the brass finish was fairly tarnished. It also had a table that didn't quite look right attached about 1/4 of the way up on the lamp. You can see it in this photo a little better to the left of the couch.
But I saw definite potential and I loved the shades and their Tiki stylings, so I took at chance at $45.
Normally, I'm a procrastinator when it comes refurbishing things I buy at sales (Remington cash register, I'm looking at you...), but I launched right into the lamp when I got home. The first thing I noticed was the table definitely did not appear to be original to the lamp. The finish was wrong (made out of formica with a non-matching color) and the lamp had been cut down to fit in a low ceiling basment.
Removing the table was easy. It looked to have been added on when the lamp was customized for the basement.
The disassembled lamp
The table removed
I sanded off the brass finish with the intent of spray painting it silver, but found the metal underneath polished up nicely, so I decided to leave it.
One of the light fixtures before sanding:
I sanded the wood (which is actually a very thin veneer wrapped around another metal pole) and restained and varnished it using 1 coat of Minwax Early American stain (yes, just 1 coat. It took fine and was as dark as I wanted it) and 2 coats of Minwax Clear Satin polyurethane (using 0000 steel wool in between coats).
I was able to extend the height of the lamp using a dowel insert to push the top adjusting spring higher, but it still wasn't quite enough. I've temporarily added some wood blocks. I need to come up with something better. I'm thinking of adding another section of wood dowel at the bottom and staining it to match.
It has a 3-way switch which allows 1, 2 or 3 lights to be lit.
I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Now to find that Mid Century credenza...