I came upon this framed print of Ichabod Crane at an estate sale this past summer. The person whose estate sale it was had a house filled throughout with shelves of books.
I recognized it as a vintage book plate and was at first was a little perturbed that someone would cut a book plate out. But damage done, I decided to bring it home. I didn't find any additional plates from the volume, so it may have been bought this way by the home's owner.
The plate is Plate 1 from Volume 1 of "Character Sketches of Romance, Fiction and the Drama" from 1892 and was painted by Edwin Austin Abbey.
Washington Irving described Ichabod as such:
He was tall, but exceedingly lank, with narrow shoulders, long arms and legs, hands that dangled a mile out of his sleeves, feet that might have served for shovels, and his whole frame most loosely hung together. His head was small, and flat at top, with huge ears, large green glassy eyes, and a long snipe nose, so that it looked like a weather-cock perched upon his spindle neck to tell which way the wind blew. To see him striding along the profile of a hill on a windy day, with his clothes bagging and fluttering about him, one might have mistaken him for the genius of famine descending upon the earth, or some scarecrow eloped from a cornfield.
Depending on the source you believe, either John Quidor or Felix Octavius Carr was the first artist to depict Ichabod Crane.
John Quidor in his either 1828 or1858 painting "Ichabod Crane Flying from the Headless Horseman".
Or Felix Octavius Carr in his portrait of Ichabod Crane courting Katrina Van Tassel from 1849.
This summer I was able to check off one of my bucket list items: visiting Sleepy Hollow, New York. I went in June, so it wasn't particularly Halloween like, but I enjoyed it greatly and was glad to have the chance to visit the Old Dutch Church and it's graves containing the inspiration for Washington Irving's characters.
And finally, my first exposure, and therefore favorite, version of Ichabod was done by the animators of Walt Disney's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".

















Those are some great Ichabod versions...and so cool that you got to visit actual Sleepy Hollow! Favourite has to be the Disney one for me too though! I really miss the old school Disney that wasn't afraid to put properly spooky scenes in films to terrorize kids! :D
ReplyDeleteThere was a 1979 CBS children's special called "Once Upon a Midnight Scary" that was hosted by Vincent Price and featured filmed excerpts from three books, to encourage reading and literacy. One of the segments was Sleepy Hollow and Rene Auberjonois was perfectly cast as Ichabod.
ReplyDeleteI know that one and it's good. And you're right, perfect casting.
DeleteI have to say, the book plate artist seems to have nailed the description perfectly. I am also partial to Disney's version, but Norman Rockwell also seem to have captured the description exceptionally well. That marker in Sleepy Hollow says the HH parks his horse in the graveyard "nightly," so you had your chance!
ReplyDeleteI think the Edwin Austin Abbey picture you found must have been the inspiration for Disney surely. It is fabulous. Sleepy Hollow is on my bucket list. Someday I am going to the northeast in the fall for color and haunts.
ReplyDelete