Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas Made in Japan

I went to an estate sale in South St. Louis City during my lunch hour on Friday and found these in a box of ornaments marked 50 cents.  They're all marked Japan and probably date from the '60's.  There were a few I wasn't particularly fond of, but I felt I couldn't leave them behind.  It would have been like banishing them to the Island of Misfit Toys.

The bases for these are made from a styrofoam bell halve


 A rather skinny Santa.  "Eat, Papa, eat!"

Another figure employing the half bell

A psychotic looking doll ornament

 
Based on the creepily skin-toned  hat concealed under his hood, my guess is this gnome began life as a St. Patrick's Day leprachaun.


This Christmas mouse is posed as if reading a book on the floor.  I'm not sure if that's his intended pose or he was crushed into that shape.

Another shelf elf.  My youngest daughter has layed claim to this one and has named him "Chippy".

Zombie Santa

Actually, it's supposed to be sleeping Santa.  He has a pillow stitched to the back of his head.

Dig those striped p.j.'s

I found these candles and holders at the same sale. The candle holders are labeled "Napcoware" and made by the National Pottery Company based in Cleveland, Ohio, but who apparently outsourced the manufacture of these to Japan. I'm not sure of the maker of the candles, but with their pink beards, just scream 50's:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...