Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Jack and Jill, February 1979

I don't recall when I picked up this issue of "Jack and Jill", but I do recall it was bundled with others which I'll come across eventually and blog about.  It's the February 1979 edition with a cover by artist Jared Lee who I've known since I was a kid from reading his "Bummers" in Dynamite magazine.  My kids (and I) love the "Black Lagoon" series of books he illustrates.






A couple of well-deserved close-ups.


I've never heard of the "Lil' Chik", but clearly the girls version of the Sting-Ray.







The best part of this issue is the article on Ralph Bakshi's "The Lord of the Rings".

It's interesting that it was featured in a children's magazine considering it received a PG rating.

Note the letter about calculator numbers forming words.  They use "710 77345" as an example which I immediately recalled spelled "Shell Oil" upside down.  I remember all kinds of jokes centered around those.  Another I remember well is 5318008.  You figure it out.




More Jared Lee art


And more Jared Lee

Can't go wrong with a Peanuts strip.

And finally, the back cover ads promising "prizes or cash" for selling greeting cards or seeds.  I recall these same ads from comic books.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...