Friday, July 24, 2015

Magic as a Hobby

This "Magic as a Hobby" booklet dates from the 1950's and was sold at the surprisingly high price for the times of $1.  It contains some classics like the old "remove your thumb" trick that my brother used to pull on me (freaked me out) and "Dead Man's Finger", a trick I first saw "Ralph Malph" use to try to scare Marcia the Waitress on "Happy Days" and one which I attempted to employ in the days after (never scared anyone). There are also some cool Ripley-esque illustrations, some illusions, and a few tricks I didn't know.



It was published by Ernie Heldman, a local St. Louis magician who appeared on KSD-TV from the late 1940's to the 1960's with his show "Parade of Magic".  His assistant Arlene Mardel was actually his wife and I had the opportunity to meet up with their daughter on Facebook through a vintage St. Louis Television group I belong to.

  




And now, brought to you by the fine folks at Rexall Drugs, it's "Magic as a Hobby"!















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...