Monday, July 11, 2016

The Mystery of Dixie Cream Donuts

Donuts may be my favorite food group.  They have their own food group, right?  Anyway, I found this plastic tray for Dixie Cream donuts a while back.  

I'd never heard of Dixie Cream Donuts, so I turned to the internet.  I found this photo on Flickr of a building here in St. Louis that added a little information to the mystery.



Apparently, the donut flour was made here and shipped to franchise owners throughout the country. Some more Googling revealed some vintage advertisements enticing you to become a Dixie Cream franchisee.

Image courtesy Pinterest



Their own site claims they have been in business since 1929.  Oddly, they only show locations in Saudi Arabia and Egypt.  However, it appears there are some surviving standalone Dixie Cream Donut shops still around here in the U.S. like this one in San Marcos, Texas, another in West Frankfurt, Illinois and others in Valdosta, Georgia and several locations in Florida.  In fact, this picture from the West Frankfurt location may reveal how my tray was used.


Anyone out there have a Dixie Cream Donut near by?

12 comments:

Bob Johns said...

Not sure if I have ever seen a Dixie Cream but they sure look good.

lady M said...

The box and logo almost look like Krispy Kreme!

Sharon said...

I have never even heard of them. But I like donuts. mmm So glad I found this blog!

Tom said...

That was my first thought. I thought they might be related, but appear to be different companies. Based on the founding dates, Krispy Kreme was a full 8 years behind them.

Tom said...

>So glad I found this blog!
I'm glad you did too! Thanks for stopping by!

txquis said...

They were all over Texas at one time, along with the Shipley chain. They are not at all similar to Krispy Kreme. These were more like any good mom and pop donut shops still popular around the country. ~jeff.

Tom said...

Thanks for the info, Jeff, and thanks for stopping by.

Chris Otto said...

Good sleuthing so far. Hope additional information on the mystery rolls in. I'm not sure about their Planet Earth logo, though.

Chris Otto said...

Good sleuthing so far. Hope additional information on the mystery rolls in. I'm not sure about their Planet Earth logo, though.

Tom said...

We call him "Globey".

Unknown said...

I know this post is old, but I grew eating Dixie Cream donuts in Valdosta, GA. When fresh they have the best glazed donut I have ever eaten. I still pick up a dozen when I get back down there for a visit. The problem is that they lose that freshness and dry out after 4 or 5 hours. You have to eat them fresh.

Tom said...

Good to hear there are still some around. My family and I pass through Valdosta every couple years on our way to Disneyworld. We'll have to seek one out. Your description of the donuts sounds a lot like Krispy Kreme donuts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...