Friday, December 2, 2016

Good Housekeeping, December 1975

Okay, I know I've been really slacking lately.  Will an old copy of Good Housekeeping appease you? No? Well, take it anyway. It's all you're getting. 

Along with the Sears Wish Book and the Swiss Colony catalog, the Christmas editions of my mom's magazines always heralded Christmas for me.




The family that gets Moe Howard haircuts together, stays together.



Would looking younger help you land that job?  Not if the company you're applying at is EOE compliant.





I remember cutting this out when I was kid and attempting to assemble it. It was a complete failure. Okay, it was last week.


The just doesn't look good to me.  The apricot half  plopped right in there doesn't appeal to me.

On the other hand, mincemeat pie does appeal to me.  The filling they use these days contains no meat. Just apples and raisins.



Looks more like the Ghost of Faux Wood on Household Electronics Future to me.



Go ahead. Rack up your BankAmericard and make his Christmas wishes come true.

I found one of these at a garage sale some years ago. You twist the racers' heads to wind them up. Seems a little sadistic.


I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but that white candy in the bottom row middle reminds me of those Brach's candys with the little jelly pieces embedded in them.  My grandma always had a dish of those sitting out.


Dad forgot his money, Mom doesn't like the prices, daughter is more interested in the crocheted shawl grandma gave her, son is bored out of his skull and the ticket taker couldn't care less.  Go home.

Let me get this off my chest. I hate marshmallows on sweet potatoes.

Whether you like a stereotypical South Pacific islander or a stereotypical dowdy, uptight white woman, there's a scent for you.








See that kid on the left? I had a pair of pants like that.  God, I had a pair of pants like that.


I recall enjoying these comic panels by The Bears' Berenstains (or Berensteins, if you believe in the "Mandela effect")






These interviews with Bob & Bing are actually pretty good.  I've copied the continuations immediately below so you don't have to flip through the pages.

Bing continued:



No, there's no fever coming on. That's the look of humiliation from being sent to school with an "Apple's Way" lunchbox.


And now Bob:


Bob continued:



















There are no words.



This ad reminds me of one of my family's favorite Christmas commercials.  We usually see it during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and it's like a kickoff to the season.  This year we saw it first during an episode of "The Walking Dead".  Not quite the same.








Hey kids. Stamp collecting is a lot less scarier than a couple of psycho clowns looking over your shoulder. Unless they only show up when you're looking at your collection.



9 comments:

  1. wow, i had forgotten about HOLD cough drops until now. they tasted awful, but they worked. their marketing was on point, though.

    traditional mincemeat didn't have meat, it was always raisins and whatnot, if i recall. i have a couple jars i made a few years back in the basement. getting to be time to make some pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Hold cough drops was another I'd go through like candy. I don't remember them tasting bad. Made your own mincemeat filling? Impressive!

      Delete
    2. I had the same reaction when I saw the Hold cough drop ad. I had forgotten about them too. I also remember they tasted pretty crappy.

      Delete
    3. Maybe I'm remembering a different cough drop. I was hooked on quite a few. They probably made it taste bad because of kids like me.

      Delete
    4. i went through Ludens cherry ones like candy. maybe that's what you were thinking of.

      Delete
    5. It finally hit me. It was Halls (mentholatum). Those squares with the hollowed out centers.

      Delete
    6. ohh, yeah -- i loved those as well. and also somebody (Ludens?) made a licorice one that i think is still my favorite one ever.

      Delete
  2. This brought back so many memories I miss Christmas the way it was in the 70's. And I'm with FrankO the Hold ad stuck out to me. God those were so gross!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...