Thursday, May 9, 2019

What was on TV May 7th through 13th 1983

It's time once again for another blast from your TV past.  This time it's 1983 and the TV Guide is HUGE; all those new cable channels. What to watch?  Well, for me it was a fairly easy choice; we didn't have cable.  But I could watch little Ricky Schroeder on "Silver Spoons" who graces this month's cover.  Ricky has been in the news recently for less than silver-ized behaviour.   

Note: Some of these scans cut off the center text.  These fat-spined TV Guide are hard to scan.



"There's only one way to play it", and I'm pretty sure he's not doing it.








This article on the concerns of the day regarding the effect of television on children is pretty interesting. It's a good history lesson and is applicable today to parents' concerns about video games and the internet. I have to admit, I've admonished my own kids for too much time on Youtube, but every time I read one of these old TV Guides, I'm reminded of how much time I spent watching TV and kettle gets a little blacker.



Anybody who watched "Days of Our Lives" in the '80's (or was subjected to it because their mom watched it), knows that Bo and Hope became an item. Apparently "Bo" "died" on Days in 2015.


Ladies and Gentlemen, we have achieved maximum 80's.






Nineteen eighty-three was probably a year or two after my Saturday morning TV watching had come to a virtual end, although I could be seen watching it later in the morning and still a fan of the Channel 11 lineup in the afternoon.



Cyndi Lauper has admitted a TV Guide listing of the movie "Time After Time" inspired the title of her same-named song.  Given the 1984 release date, it was likely this issue.


I believe this ad for "Time After Time" is the only painted ad in this issue.  Most ads had turned to photographs and the great age of painted covers and ads was coming to an end.







I'm sure I watched "Sunday Funnies", but I don't recall it.  I'll have to refresh my memory.



I don't think I ever watched Bronco Billy, but I had enjoyed the other Eastwood-Locke vehicles like "The Gauntlet" and the "Every Which Way" series.











I remember watching (at the least the end of) "I Want to Live" and it kind of traumatized me. The scene of Lindsay Wagner trying to hold her breath to avoid breathing the gas was disturbing. Now you too can be traumatized.




I don't recall "Season's" restaurant. Looks like a chain in the vein of T.G.I.Fridays.  There's still one in St. Charles, Missouri.





















Whether you like John Denver or the Muppets or maybe both, this is for you.



Demon babies were all the rage in the '70's and were still showing up in reruns in the '80's.




"Favorite Male Performer in a New Series" is now "Favorite Male Performer in Germany Even Though He's Not in a Series".

I'm sure those warnings were put there to let you know you might want to skip this one.













We now return you to your regularly scheduled life.

5 comments:

  1. it's funny that this post should have Watership Down in it. they just released a new one on Netflix recently, and the only thing i could think about it is how it traumatized so many Gen-Xers back then, both the book and this animated version.

    random thoughts:

    • Poor Rick Schroeder. it sounds like he has a lot of issues these days.
    • Looking For Mr. Goodbar was such a huge deal -- and a young Richard Gere, oof. <3
    • Still weird to see old ads pushing cigarettes
    • John Denver and the Muppets :' (
    • Time After Time! : D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You linked to the wrong special, Tom - That's The Fantastic Funnies from three years earlier. Looks like the special listed here is all live-action. (Probably why I didn't watch it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. 2 specials about comic strips hosted by Loni Anderson? I'm wondering if there was a name change somewhere along the way. Seems like it contains the same material listed in the program description. I'll have to do some deeper digging.

      Delete
  3. Such memories. I was reading TV Guide cover to cover at this time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...