Friday, June 14, 2019

What Was on TV June 10-16, 1978

While looking for a "Friday Flashback", I came across this TV Guide post from June 2014. It was from back when I only scanned certain pages and it was severely lacking in content.  So, I decided this one needed a refresh and repost.  I'm leaving my original contents, but have updated them and added additional comments and content.

Enjoy!

Okay, I know it's been over 2 months.  But I'm full of excuses.  My PC was down for a month of that time after a harddrive failure.  Then I was on vacation for 2 weeks of the other month.  The remaining 2 weeks, I'll just throw to the wind and blame life in general.

I'll mark my return with another installment of What Was on TV.  This time, it's June 10-16, 1978.  I generally try to align these with the actual week, but I'm a week late.  But let's face it, this TV Guide is already 15 years out of date, so does it really matter?

This cover reminds me of television's UFO fascination of the 1970's, almost rivaling that of...today?  I recall watching shows like In Search Of and Project Blue Book. I also recall being terrified I was going to be abducted.  Thanks TV!  (***Update*** Apparently, there was no show called "Project Blue Book". It was called "Project U.F.O."  I maintain it's another victim of the "Mandela Effect").  




 Roone Arledge would stay as head of ABC News through 1998, passing away in 2002. During his tenure, he would introduce 20/20, Nightline and Primetime Live. Under his tenure, ABC News became the highest rated network news channel.



A promo article for Rob Reiner's new series, "Free Country".  The premise sounds interesting, but it lasted 5 episodes.


A comparison to 2013 Rob Reiner






Mayor sets hair on fire? Of course, I had to Google that. Sorry, no sound.



To be honest, after the first Jaws, I still didn't think it was safe to go back in the water.

Another sign this is 1978: embracing the sun..and the rib cage.

And if you overdid it... 
(**Update** I left the above page in place for the gag. It appears later in the post in position.)






Of course, my favorite day of the week.



Yes you are...


Trims away fat...and life.

Seeing this RC car ad reminded me of my first.  These "steered" by backing up in a circle. The next direction you went depended on how long you reversed.  Otherwise, they just went forward.  No speed control or turning while you were going forward.



At first, I thought "1968: A Crack in Time" was one of those time travel movies the 70's were so famous for where the hero goes back in time to change the past, ultimately failing.  Turns out, it's just another documentary.


I've said it before, but it's amazing how many different diet pills were being pushed in the '70's.

Not to mention quack products like these stomach wraps.

No contest. Lee Majors is way more macho than Chad Everett.



Do not adjust your screens. That's just an ad for the new series "20/20".  See what they did there?










Actionline with Larry Connors.  Connors maintained his position at Channel 4 until last month (**May 2014**) when he was fired for posting some accusations against the IRS on Facebook last month.  Talk Back, but watch what you say.

The fashion faux pas of wearing sky blue on sky blue is only rivaled by the length of the crotch in those pants.




 The Television Crossword for the week.  Test your 1970's TV knowledge.  Print out and enjoy!

The featured article from the cover



Take my advice: do not try the "Picnic Loaf".



Talk about false advertising.  That thing should be blinking "12:00 a.m."




The guy on the right reminds me: Have you seen the new Anchorman 2 trailer yet?  (***Update*** Anchorman 2 had its moments, but failed to live up to the original. You just can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. (I may be mixing my metaphors, but you know what I mean))

Leaning on the frame is Erin "Wilma Deering" Gray.  Or Erin "Kate Summers" Gray, if you were a Silver Spoons fan.



Another mention of "Project U.F.O.".  MANDELA!!!!!!




Well, that's it for this installment of What Was on TV.   We now return you to your life, already in progress.

12 comments:

  1. wait, wait, wait, wait, WAIT: larry connors was FIRED?
    that guy was around FOR. EV. ER!

    also, in no particular order:

    1) i can still sing that solarcaine jingle, can you?
    2) personally still afraid to go in the ocean
    3) rather excited about Anchorman 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >wait, wait, wait, wait, WAIT: larry connors was >FIRED?

      Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES. http://tinyurl.com/nq4aa6h
      1) No, but now I must find it.
      2) Same here. I'll go in up to my stomach, that's about it.
      3) I am too. Hope they don't mess it up.

      Delete
  2. i can't find the jingle - the internet is letting me down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, NOW you're telling me there was no "Project Bluebook"?? this is madness! more evidence that the dear price we paid for the Cubs winning the world series is the timeline we're currently in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >NOW you're telling me there was no "Project Bluebook"??
      I know. Insanity. I'm still searching for evidence. That and those BerenstEIn Bears.

      Delete
    2. I used to watch Project UFO/Bluebook as a 8 or 9 year old and I also swear it was called Bluebook. Very strange.

      At the same age I also saw Jaws or perhaps Jaws II and I was scared for about a week when I was trying to get to sleep alone in bed! And we were no where near the ocean!

      Delete
    3. BJB, my daughter is afraid of sharks in the bathtub...and she's 12!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would suggest you to upload your TV Guide scans to the Internet Archive (https://archive.org/), there aren't many uploads of pre-2010's TV Guide issues there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look into rhat, Scorpio68. I have a lot scanned.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I'm 100% with you. There was absolutely a show called Project Blue Book. We're being Mandela'd by cosmic waves from Area 51. Which is why we must storm it and find the answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Chris. Someone needs to go back in time and right these TV wrongs.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...