Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Garage Selling

 For today's blog, I thought I'd do something I've never done before: write about my own garage sale.


Yes, I do have my own garage sales. About once a year I gather up things that have run their course in my enjoyment of them, haven't sold on eBay or are just taking up room gathering dust, or all of the above, and sell them at my own garage sale.  The down side, of course, is that I don't get to go garage saling that day.  But it's nice to move some merchandise and make room for more now and then.

Let's first discuss reasons why you should have a garage sale.  If the answer is anything besides "getting rid of stuff", you will be disappointed.  You aren't going to get antique store or eBay prices at a garage sale or even close to that.  People that aren't resellers normally aren't interested in vintage or collectible pieces and resellers are checking eBay while they shop your sale to see how much "meat" is left on the "bone".

Next, let's discuss proper signage.  One of my pet peeves when looking for garage sales is improper (or lack of) use of signs.

Often, people will tape up an 8 1/2  x 11 sheet of paper written on with thin Sharpie marker.  When you're driving down the road at 40 miles per hour, it can hard to read.  If it's neon pink or green, I assume it to be a garage sale, so that helps.  But a lot of times, if it's a humid morning, the paper will curl to the point it can't be read.  My advice is to get large wooden signs painted in neon green with large letters.  I found these on the side of the road, already painted green, and repurposed for myself, just adding the lettering.  Free wood and free paint, you can't go wrong.


I hang them high at the front of our subdivision facing both directions so people can see them well in advance of the street and not have to make a break-neck turn, as I have been known to do.

Follow up your initial signs at each intersection letting your customers know where the sale is. Again, use large, bright signs.  I don't know how many times I've followed a sign into a subdivision, came to an intersection and scratched my head wondering which direction to turn. 


Another pet peeve: unless you put your address on them, limit your signs to a one-mile radius.  I've been lead on a wild goose chase many times, thinking a sale was just down a street only to find sign after sign leading me through miles of twists and turns, sometimes never reaching my destination and simply giving up.

Oh, and when the sale is over TAKE DOWN YOUR SIGNS!  I've been tricked on multiple occasions (sometimes several weeks in a row) with an outdated sign. 

And now, on with my sale. 

We just had a new, enlarged driveway put in at our house.  It makes a great area to host a sale.


My pricing method is to label things that are over $1 and anything unlabeled is a dollar.  It works out well as it limits the amount of work I have to do labeling things and when something is a dollar, people will buy it just because it's just a buck.  Again, the motivation of a garage sale should be to get rid of stuff.

I collect a lot of vintage Christmas and had a lot to thin out, so that made up a good portion of my sale.


What?! Tom selling a toaster AND a coffee maker?  Has he lost his mind?  No, I had a duplicate of the coffee maker and the toaster wasn't anything special.





I may have been a little optimistic listing records at $3, but I figured people would bargain with me, and they did.






We opened around 7:30 a.m. and had customers quickly.  The early-birds are generally no-nonsense and will scan quickly with little to say, except maybe ask if you have any gold or silver.

After the initial burst, we actually had a lull of 45 minutes without a customer.  I've never had a lull that early in the morning and I was a little concerned, but it picked up after that and stayed steady the rest of the morning.  At times, there were as many as 5 groups of people at the sale.  It's odd how they tend to show up in bunches, then you'll have nobody for 5 to 10 minutes.

I had one elderly lady who was very interested in my vintage items.  I believe she's shopped my garage sales before and if I recall correctly is a reseller at a flea market.  I had about one hundred postcards out marked 10/$1 which is a pretty good price, even at a garage sale.  She looked through them and asked if I had anything older.  I did, but those are in my personal collection. These were newer (70's and 80's) postcards that had been acquired in lots containing older postcards.  She passed on the postcards and then asked me about old photos.  Again, I have some, but I wasn't selling them at the garage sale.  This seemed to perturb her as she mentioned the last time she came to my sale, I had older items.  I believe she bought a fairly large ephemera collection from me (mostly old corporate recipe booklets and travel brochures) last time.

After she left, another woman, probably in her late 30's to early 40's, arrived.  She was very excited looking through the sale and grabbed a number of things including the toaster and some other vintage kitchen appliances.  She said she would use them to decorate her kitchen.  She was my biggest individual sale of the day at $25.

Customers dried up about around noon and the temperature was hitting the high 90's, so I closed up.

I didn't move as much merchandise as I'd wanted, but I made an acceptable dent.  My vintage Christmas was surprisingly a hard sell and I had some good items marked (or not marked as the case may be) cheap.

I donated a good portion of the remainder to our local thrift store (Encore Thrift Store) and packed up the remainder for another sale to be held this Fall. I'm hoping the Christmas items move a little better then and I'll have additional items after going through my Halloween supplies.

I ended up making $150 which isn't the best I've ever done, but (one mo' time), it was more about getting rid of items.  Plus, $150 will fund garage and estate saling for the next several weeks.

And before I go, one more tip on placement and removal of signs.  When putting the signs up, I work from my house to the furthest point.  You don't want to put out the furthest sign and not have the subsequent follow up signs in place for your customers.  Likewise, when taking down signs, I remove from the furthest point first. Again, that way you won't confuse customers who have already seen your first sign but have no follow up signs to guide them.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, man. I'd have bought that Electric Company record, a lot of your board games, and probably those Atari carts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Atari boxes were boxes only. I ended up throwing them in for free to the lady that bought the large lot. She felt it would soften the blow with her husband when she brought everything home.

      Delete
  2. i find it surprising that you've never covered actually HOLDING a garage sale, haha. you just know i was zooming in and shopping in every photo! i did gasp when seeing the toaster and coffee pot, and then i read your text below it, haha. personally, i would have priced the vinyl at a buck apiece, unless it was something particularly noteworthy.

    your attitude in holding a garage sale is the same as Al Hoff's: are you looking to get rid of stuff, or are you looking to get rich? if you're looking to get rich, then don't hold a garage sale. garage sales are for moving stuff out the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >i would have priced the vinyl at a buck apiece
      Well, here's the deal with that. There were some records in there that were worth about $10. I figured I'd bargain if someone wanted to buy a lot and if they came up with the less valuable records, I let them just have them for $1 a piece. I sold 4 records at the $3 price and the rest I let go for $1 each.
      >your attitude in holding a garage sale is the same as Al Hoff's
      I feel like I should know who that is, but I don't. But if he says that, I agree!

      Delete
    2. Al (short for Alison) Hoff literally wrote the book on thrifting, haha:
      https://www.amazon.com/Thrift-Score-Al-Hoff/dp/0060952091

      She is also one of the OG members of our thrifting list, and she's amazing. garage sales come up from time to time on our list, and she's always maintained that the point of them is to get rid of stuff, and that you should price stuff accordingly.

      Delete
    3. That's probably where I remember the name from, the old Yahoo Group Thrift list.

      Delete
    4. yep. now on google. and to make things even more confusing, her husband's name is Pat, so when you say "hey, Al and Pat are coming to town" in mixed company, all bets on genders are wide open, lol.

      Delete
  3. I have had many a garage sale and your sign advice is sound. I like to snag the old election signs with the metal stands and recover those in white paper then print big bold letters on my computer and tape them on with packing tape. I alway put arrows and usually my address. Last two I had were duds so these days I just take my junk to the ARC thrift store or mail it to you -ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >I like to snag the old election signs with the metal stands
      Yeah, I've done that in the past as well.
      I'm glad you follow sound sign practice
      >or mail it to you -ha ha.
      You know I'll never turn anything down!

      Delete
  4. Too bad your driveway crew couldn't work on those cracked streets. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, that's been an issue for some time. Previously, the subdivision paid for street repair and we couldn't get anyone to cough up the money to repair them. One 10x10 pad costs about $4000. Then we were adopted by the county and all they do is make asphalt patches.

      Delete
  5. I've done a few over the years, last in the Summer of 2021. Got an okay amount of people, and made a bit (but well under $100). But, since it was a house cleaning sale, I took all that was left and donated it to a local thrift store. Wanted nothing back in the house.

    You have some cool vintage items, so I can see not donating all of that stuff. Hell, I'd have a hard time parting with it, at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a long time, I did have an issue with letting things go, either at sales or donation. That was one of the reasons I started this blog. Writing about something makes it easier to pass it on. I actually did donate much of the leftover items from this sale to a local thrift store. Others, I'm saving for a Fall garage sale.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...