Monday, October 5, 2026

Peck Witch and Petrified Cat

Sorry for the lapse in posting this weekend.  We've been having some house renovations done, a result of a tornado in March of 2025.  Our house had minor damage, but we decided to redo the whole house exterior as a result.  It's coming along very nicely, thanks for asking.

My first die cut of the season is this Peck (I believe) Witch and Black Cat.  The artwork looks very much like Peck, but I couldn't find an example on the internet and apparently neither could Google.  It likely dates from the 1970's based on the style.


 Clearly, this is this cat's first journey as a familiar.  Or maybe not, and he knows what's coming.

This was a large die cut, so I had to take eight scans to capture it entirely and stitch it together (I hope you appreciate that) and after ended up with this:


I'm sure I could have filled the background with white with some photo editing tool, but instead I used Google Gemini to do it for me, so yes, full disclosure, the first image is AI. It did clean up some of the tape and creases, which I didn't ask it to do; one of the things I don't like about Gemini, it takes liberties.

I have a love/hate relationship with AI.  It's very convenient for doing things like above, at the same time, there are skilled people who knew how to do that before AI, I just wasn't one of them, so it is nice for the layman, but not so good for the skilled people.

Now that I think of it, AI is a little like Witchcraft.

4 comments:

  1. AI does take liberties. Most of the time I am just not impressed with it's work. The definitely could have done that for you with my Gaomon drawing pad which I love or on photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my (many) curses is, I'm really cheap, so I won't pay for any applications and the free ones are few and far between. I lost a lot of my free photo editing apps when I got a new PC and haven't been able to find any free ones that actually work.

      Delete
  2. Though not a fan of AI, given that it's likely going to Skynet all of us in our lifetime (if Putin doesn't first), I appreciate having that first image so see what it *probably* looked like when pristine. You did a great job stitching together the images, though (just like Baron Frankenstein) and I also think it looks great with its natural wear and tear, taped parts and all. That's what makes it special. This would look great on any door in the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the human effort that went into putting the piece together with the 8 scans... It's a nice looking piece!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...