Sunday, August 23, 2015

Dolgins Spring/Summer 1980 Catalog

Dolgin's was a small chain of catalog showroom stores in the midwest similar to Service Merchandise.  They began as a pawn shop in the 1920's before becoming a jewelry store.  They expanded into other products in the 1950's and peaked in the early 1980's before being bought out by Best, another catalog showroom chain.  Dolgin's is once again back in the jewelry business.

Enjoy this peek into their catalog showroom from 1980.










The Spider-man Big Wheel would have been way too late in 1980 for me, but I would have loved it as a kid.


When Jarts still roamed the Earth.




Just hold on, gang.  As soon as the tide comes in, we'll be on our way.

I found that Keystone projector (L) at an estate sale a few years back.  It's not the best projector and has a pretty low-light bulb, but it's dual 8mm/super 8mm and has an adjustable speed which that combined with the low projector light works out well for transferring films via a transfer screen.

The 110 camera was our camera staple growing up (a Vivitar), even after it developed a light leak and began creating J.J. Abrams-esque lens flares in the photos.

My first stereo system was a SoundDesign which I bought from Service Merchandise.





By 1980, CB's as a fad were on their way out.




The lie that is hot air-popped popcorn.  I asked for one for Christmas one year thinking I could have all the delicious popcorn I wanted without causing a stir (no pun intended) in the kitchen.  It was dry and tasteless.


We had that faux brick on our kitchen wall.

By 1980, LCD watches had replaced the way cooler red LED watch as the digital watch of choice.

7 comments:

  1. on the plus side, the West Bend Poppery II makes pretty great small-batch roasted coffee beans. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall you telling me that. I'd like to try that, but I don't have a source for unroasted coffee beans.

      Delete
    2. sweet maria's is your one-stop source for all your home-roasting needs, my friend: https://www.sweetmarias.com/

      Delete
  2. Used to go to the one on Reavis and Lemay, it was walking distance from my grandparents house... I can't remember where any others were in STL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one was a Best by the time I was going to it. I bought my first color tv there (19-inch).

      Delete
  3. Wow! $967.87 for a top-loading VCR. And I thought I paid too much ($499.99 on sale) for my Radio Shack VCR in 1984.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get a VCR until around 1984 as well. I believe we paid $360 for a top-loading, wired remote Panasonic. That thing lasted forever.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...