Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Scarecrow

I picked this book up at an estate sale Friday for two reasons.


One, it had a definite Halloween feel to it.  As it turns out, it has nothing to do with Halloween.  It's about a smuggler in 18th century England who battles with the English Navy while smuggling tobacco and alcohol from France.


The second reason is, the original 1964 Disney television broadcast of "The Scarecrow" is legend in my family. The second part of the movie aired the night the Beatles debuted on "The Ed Sullivan Show".  My Dad wanted to watch "The Scarecrow", but my brother's and sister's whining won out and he missed it.  My mom said he hated the Beatles ever since because of that.  I suspect it had a little more to do with their hairstyles and their music, but that's the legend.

So you see, it's a little more like Robin Hood or Zorro than Michael Myers.

Anyway, if you want a little more Halloweenish Scarecrow action, why don't you watch the excellent made-for-TV movie, "The Dark Night of the Scarecrow" and remember, "Bubba didn't do it!"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...