Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Happy 50th Disney's Haunted Mansion

This 1970 promotional item published by Disney and Gulf Oil celebrates the opening on August 9th, 1969 of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion attraction which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year.  I've been fascinated with Haunted Mansion since I was a kid, checking out books like this from my elementary school library.  I've never been to Disneyland, but I finally got to visit the Haunted Mansion when I was in the 5th grade.  I've been back with my own kids numerous times in the past 20 years and it's still my favorite attraction there.



It includes an article on some of America's most famous haunted houses.







It then covers Walt Disney's fascination with ghosts and hauntings leading to the design and creation of the Haunted Mansion park attraction.



It then veers wildly into "Places to Go Vermont" with Donald Duck and his nephews.




It looks like Gulf Oil was sponsoring "The Wonderful World of Disney" during this time which explains the tie-in.  Here are some episodes you could have enjoyed in 1970.  


I would have been all over "Secrets of The Pirate's Inn". I loved those Disney kids and mystery episodes.  Thanks to Youtube, you (and I) can enjoy it now.





TCM showed "The Yellowstone Cubs" as part of their Disney Classics series this past summer.  I watched it. It was typical 70's "man raises bear cubs and bear cubs get into mischief" story lines, but enjoyable nonetheless.


This "Monster of the Month" centerfold is odd.  I guess Leprechauns are monsters now. Well, there was that movie.


Goofy shows us how to ride a horse.



A classic song from Richard and Robert Sherman.  Who doesn't love Pooh?


I always wondered who came first, Chip and Dale or Warner Bros. Goofy Gophers "Mac" and "Tosh" (I never knew they had names).  Wonder no more.  Chip and Dale made their debut 4 years prior to Warner Bros.' version.



The Kurt Russell Disney movies were another favorite of mine.


Some fun facts.



And some puzzles and games.










And a final plug for Gulf.

6 comments:

  1. Looks very similar to the Procter & Gamble-sponsored "Disney Magazine" giveaways I remember getting in the mid-'70s. I like the Chip and Dale feature best, because that appears to be a real model sheet that would be used by animators, comic book artists, and merchandisers

    "How to Ride a Horse" is based on a actual Goofy cartoon--Originally part of the live-action promotional feature The Reluctant Dragon (1941), it was later released as a separate short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know the music and the general areas of the disney haunted house, but i've never been there. now it costs a fortune to go to disneyland, so who knows if i'll ever get there. but we talk about going every so often, so who knows. the haunted house and the tiki room are two things i'd like to see.

    wasn't that "goofy shows you how to ride a horse" also a disney short cartoon? it seems so familiar to me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful book! Love the art. Love Haunted Mansion. Just read a book this year about the history of the Haunted Mansion, covers all of them actually. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good read, I'll have to look that one up.

      Delete
    2. It is called The Haunted Mansion: Imagineering a Disney Classic by Jason Surrell

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...