Thursday, October 19, 2017

Melted Plastic Popcorn Witch

During the earlier part of summer this year, I was driving home from my sister-in-law's house in the city of St. Louis when I spotted this sticking out of the top of a dumpster.


Of course I pulled over and retrieved it.  Unfortunately, there was no other vintage Halloween with it.  I have other examples of these melted plastic popcorn pieces which I previously wrote about.

When I originally wrote that post, there wasn't much information on the internet about them.  There still isn't, but at least there's this video which sheds a little light on them.



***UPDATE*** Since this posting, I've found the official name for these is "Glitter Placques". They were made by the Kage Company in the 1970's.

8 comments:

  1. I loved the feel of those things! We had a bunch when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have my witch and pumpkin from when I was a kid. Hanging on the door's now! I love these things really brings me back to my youth every time I take them out of the box and hang them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a freaking dumpster??? Gah! Glad you rescued it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have never understood the appeal of these, either. in fact, i had never seen them before living in st. louis. i used to think that everyone made their own somehow, sort of like making your own faux-stained glass ornaments for xmas back in the 80s with those little plastic beads you put in a frame and then baked lightly in the oven. maybe they were a st. louis/midwest thing, like White Castle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >i used to think that everyone made their own somehow
      Yes, that was my thought too, like they were some kind of plastic latch hook rug that you threw in the oven. Wait, we've already had this conversation: http://garagesalin.blogspot.com/2014/10/melted-plastic-popcorn-ghost.html

      Delete
    2. oh great -- we've become THOSE kind of old people now. SIGH
      haha

      Delete
  5. Cool --- it's a plastic version of enameling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I love these type of decorations! Probably second only to blowmolds.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...