Thursday, October 29, 2020

Great Giant Jigglin' Skeletons!

"Great Giant Jigglin' Skeletons" may be my new phrase of astonishment and it's what I said when I saw this set of twin jiggling rubber bones at a recent sale.

Standing (or at least hanging) at an astonishing 2 feet long, both were still in their original packaging and on the original backer card.



Initially, I'd hoped the green paint on the bones was glow in the dark. Alas, it isn't, but it does fluoresce in blacklight.

The backer card art adds measurably to this piece and I'm glad it wasn't thrown out.





I've previously covered Topstone, but that was related to their masks.  I found very little regarding their production of toys such as this.

The Topstone Rubber Toy Co. began manufacturing rubber masks in the 1930's. They rose to fame in the 1950's and '60's with popular creations like "Shock Monster", "Werewolf", "Ghoul" and "Creep Beat", selling the masks through advertising in comic books and magazines such as "Famous Monsters".  Topstone went out of business in 1995.

5 comments:

  1. those are huge! i remember smaller jiggly ones, but i don't recall even seeing them two feet long. how old do you think they are? seems to me that the rubber would harden or wear out over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing 70's to possibly early '80's. The rubber does really stink, but it's held up. They seem to be a pretty rare item given I've been unable to find any like them online.

      Delete
    2. oh, i had forgotten how those things SMELL. if i recall, they also broke easily, at least the smaller ones did. that could account for their rarity.

      Delete
  2. Those are great! We have one modern plastic skeleton, but now after reading your post, the idea of a glow in the dark skeleton is cool, isn't it? I really want one now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has to be a glow in the dark skeleton out there somewhere. I had a glow in the dark Wolfman Aurora model kit when I was a kid and struggled with the decision whether to paint it or not. Paint it and the glow in the dark is gone. Don't paint it and it looks like the ghost of a wolfman during the day.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...