Thursday, October 1, 2020

Halloween 2020 -- It's My Bag, Baby, and Nothing's Gonna Stop Me!

That's right, it's that time of year again. And despite what 2020 has thrown at us, Halloween WILL go on.

And that means that the Countdown to Halloween will happen once more.

For the seventh year in a row, I've joined this jolly band of bloggers to focus all of our blogging powers toward Halloween.  Together, we can win this and #SAVEHALLOWEEN!

And as is the norm (AND NOT THE NEW NORM!), my first offering this season is a bag.  Specifically, this Duro brand Trick or Treat bag (model PLTT-74A).  "PLTT" stands by "Plastic Trick or Treat". I'm assuming the 74-A is the year (1974).


Adorning one side of the bag is a ghost hovering on the porch of a haunted house (perhaps he's locked out) while the other shows a witch (or at least her head and hand) stirring a cauldron over a fire.  I've scanned these graphics with white paper inside to better show them.


"Assembled in Mexico?"  How much assembly could this have taken?

This particular bag originally sold at Target for what appears to be 35 cents.

Another Duro bag kicked off my very first Countdown to Halloween installment way back in 2014 when I featured this Brach's Trick or Treat Duro bag.


Duro Bag Mfg is a privately owned company which was founded in Covington, Kentucky in 1953. Their Wikipedia entry oddly boasts they are "the only manufacturing facility at the Port of Brownsville that is non-maritime related." Okay...  They are still in business.

While it's been a slow year for garage and estate sales, I'll do my best this season to present something every day (crosses fingers).  

As I said, Halloween will go on. Come on, 2020. BRING. IT. ON.  I'm not even breathing hard.  To misquote Clark Griswald, "We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Halloween since Bing Crosby sang  Ichabod blankin' Crane!  And when October 31st rolls around, any Trick or Treaters that show up on my doorstep will find the jolliest bunch of blank-holes this side of the nuthouse."

Sorry for the censoring, but the Countdown IS a family event.  You get the picture.

Don't let 2020 ruin YOUR Halloween.  Get Trick or Treating on over at The Countdown to Halloween and be sure to bring your bag -- they're handing out Fun-sized Treats for all! Yeah, baby!

12 comments:

  1. Cool bags. I like the one with the cat especially. They remind me of an old trick or treat bag I had when I was a young child, with a witch on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Guillaume. Glad to bring back a memory. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love these old Halloween treat bags. As a kid in the 1980s and early 1990s my parents always took me to all of these fall events, state fairs, festivals, etc, and it seemed like so many places handed out decorative bags like this to carry your loot around in. Now with the emphasis on reusable bags it's cool to see them around again. These vintage bags have such a charm, though, although admittedly they were always inferior for candy collection compared to a good old pillow case. Those things will hold candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never carried a pillow case, but this bag would have been far superior in holding candy in quantities than the Jack O'Lantern pail I carried. Unfortunately, where I tricked and treated was a rural neighborhood, so my small pail was sufficient to hold everything I received on Halloween. Thanks for dropping by, Barbecue17!

      Delete
  3. well, we have decided we're not giving out candy this year (but we'll be BUYING it, oh yes, Precious). Our neighbor on one side, who usually goes all-out like you do, has also decided to abstain this year. she has instead been sewing kid-sized masks in halloween fabric, and she's going to have a skeleton on her fence holding a basket with them in it. sorry, kids, but the risk is too high this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be handing out. Whether they show or not remains to be seen.

      Delete
  4. I remember using a bag one year and it broke. After that it was a pillow case every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, same here. pillow cases RULED.

      Delete
    2. I never used a pillow case. As I've said before, I Tricked and Treated in a rural neighborhood, so there were barely enough houses to fill my small pumpkin pail. I envied the kids that lived in subdivisions and could fill a pillow case.

      Delete
  5. I used everything, bags, pillowcases, plastic pumpkins. Whatever worked. Here's to a great month ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m thinking either a clothes line across the driveway with treat bags or a decorated table so kids can grab the bags contact free.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...