Friday, December 25, 2015

Days of Santa - Harold Gale

Before last year, I'd never heard the name "Harold Gale", but now I consider myself to be a champion of his Santa Clauses and somewhat knowledgeable at recognizing them.

The first time I encountered a Harold Gale Santa Claus was at a garage sale last year when I bought a motorized store display.  I blogged about it here.

I found this all white one about a month ago.  I would guess he dates from the 1950's.



He's not motorized, but he's very well made.  The base is similar to the one that was on the other Santa.


Gale Santa faces are very distinctive and are easily identified by their eyes.




Harold Gale and his wife Viola began making Santa Clauses for store displays in 1946 before moving into the commercial market in the early 1960's.  The commercial versions typically have white plastic boots and are the most common found on eBay.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting find! Hope you and your family had a great Christmas and wishing you a great 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. We had a good, if a bit warm, Christmas. Hope yours was great as well.

      Delete
  2. Interesting find! Hope you and your family had a great Christmas and wishing you a great 2016!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...