Saturday, December 26, 2015

Trimming Out Christmas

I know, I know.  Christmas is over.  But I came across this and just couldn't wait another year to share the awesomeness.  **Disclaimer: My definition of "awesomeness" may not match yours.  From 1970, it's "Christmas with all the trimmings".




 A little private nudging, eh?  There's more "bizarre" than "bazaar" to be found here.

 They call them "Throw Away Inspirations" because that's what your recipients will do with them.

Once upon a time, patches fixed a hole in a garment so you could get a little more mileage out of them, or a bunch of remnants stitched together to form a "new" garment (see Dolly Parton's "Coat of Many Colors") and were often the source of shame and embarrassment.  Why did they become a fashion statement in the '70's?

I'm glad they acknowledge this is "madness".


Are these Christmas "touches" or "touchés"?  I can see you hanging your homemade ornament next to your friend's store-bought one and glaring smugly at him.




My aunt made me a frog similar to that snake for Christmas one year.  The same year she made me a yellow turtle neck sweater with my name stitched to it.  Trust me, the frog went over better than the sweater.


 "Red means go" as in get out of my sight in that quilted nightgown.

 I don't believe I've ever fantasized this.

 Isn't it time to bring back "the well vested man"?  The answer is "no".


 "Desk Identity", in case you want to identify yourself as someone with too much time on their hands.




1 comment:

  1. OMG - this magazine must have had a far reaching impact. Firstly, I remember getting a homemade purse for a present in 1970 when I was a small child. I also remember our neighbor making us felt animal ornaments for our tree - that snail was one of her designs. And we had one of those felt noel strips also made by the same neighbor. I also recall my mother wearing a long skirts reminiscent of the fashion fantasies. Wasn't 1970 great???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...