Tuesday, December 1, 2015

When (Fictional) Worlds Collide

I had intended to post the November 1978 issue of Women's Day magazine last month. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to, but I would be remiss if I didn't publish at least this article. It's a guide to building your kids a playset to go with their "spage-age" figures.  Please tell me someone's parents built them this awesome set.



I love the combined play action of Kenner's Star Wars figures with Mego's Micronauts and vehicles used in these shots.  I even see a dog and a cat thrown in there.  That was the way I always played with action figures.  It didn't matter if they were Mego Comic Action Heroes (DC or Marvel), Micronauts, or random figures out of a gumball machine.  Scale didn't matter either.  I made due. They all combined to create my universe.



The first image as separate pictures so you can see some better detail:



I never had store-bought playsets or anything as cool as this.  The best I did was gluing some Styrofoam packing pieces together  and combining with assorted cardboard boxes, but it was enough. Man, I spent some hours imagining great adventures.

7 comments:

Bob Johns said...

I would almost build it now!

Caffeinated Joe said...

Never saw this before, but it is awesome!

2W2N said...

There were specifically Star Wars-themed playset designs in a 1980 issue of the same mag. I've only found one photo showing one of them built by a mom (of course) for her kids, as seen in this post:

http://2warpstoneptune.com/2013/02/26/womans-day-magazines-star-wars-playset-designs-1978-1980/

Tom said...

Thanks for the link, 2W2N. I'll have to look for that 1980 issue. And how cool is it to see one actually built?! Way to go, Mom!

lady M said...

Nope - we built our space stations out of blocks of wood.

Ewen Kirk said...

I would have loved that as a kid! In fact I'm tempted to get my nieces and nephews round to help me build one now! I remember covering my mum's sofa in masking tape one time back in the day, creating a futuristic roadway for my Micro Machine cars....

Andy T said...

Why of course? Seems a pretty Dad thing to do...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...