Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Snoopy Comes Home..and Goes To School

Most schools have already started back for the year a couple weeks ago, but in my day (cue old man voice), we didn't start until the Tuesday after Labor Day.

And in 1974, I was starting 2nd grade. But I wasn't starting it alone.  Not only was my sister still riding the school bus with me (her last year in elementary), but I had a brand new Snoopy lunchbox, made by Thermos by my side.

In the picture below, you can see me clutching it and charging toward our driveway after coming home on the first day of school.

A blurry, but I assure you, Snoopy lunchbox. Dig those red jeans.

I know this is the first day of school because my mother only took pictures of us on the first and last days of school. And, as I'll relay below, the Snoopy lunchbox sadly did not survive to the end of the year.

Oh, it made it most of the year.  As I recall, it was one of the first warm and sunny days of spring.  Exuberant with getting home from school and the anticipation for the coming end of the school year, I walked onto our patio and threw my Snoopy lunchbox joyously in the air.  It came down on a car wheel rim.  We always had junk laying around our patio.  Both my father and brothers were avid mechanics.  The plastic Snoopy lunchbox was no match for the iron wheel and it split, breaking the top off.

That was the last (and only) store bought lunchbox I ever had, maybe rightfully so after that incident.  I was a brown-bagger from thereon.  The thermos hung around for years, its painted picture of Snoopy joyously dancing slowing fading away.  I don't know when it was finally thrown out.

This past year while looking on the estatesales.net website, I spied an old friend.


I knew I had to renew an old friendship.  It was still there when I arrived at the sale.  It was $8, but what's a few dollars among friends.





I recall drinking room temperature milk out of that thermos many times. They didn't keep things very cold.

Here's an ad for this and the other available models from Thermos.  I'm guessing this is from a year later in 1975 based on the King Kong lunchbox.


And despite the title of this post, Snoopy didn't go back to school.  My youngest is in High School now and probably wouldn't be caught dead with it.  So for now, it sits on my shelf where I can look at it.  And I promise, Snoopy, I won't throw you in the air this time.

14 comments:

  1. $8 sounds like a good deal with the original Thermos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. I was surprised it was still there because I came later in the day.

      Delete
  2. that lunch box is practically mint! what an amazing find. i think i had the metal Space 1999 lunch box at one time. now i have an old Battlestar Galactica one (and two thermoses) and a Pee Wee Herman thermos. the inside of the BSG lunchbox is in bad shape (my bad -- i store rubber stamps in it), but the thermoses are all in great shape because they never get used. side note: you had great '70s kid hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >you had great '70s kid hair.
      Oh, the mane was mighty in those days.

      Delete
  3. Awesome story and memory! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother bought the metal version of this sometime around '72, a year before I started school. The thermos was also metal, and it's design was the same one from an earlier Peanuts lunchbox, with the gang playing baseball.

    Mom was afraid I'd play with it and end up breaking it, so she put it away somewhere until I was ready to begin school. She did a great job of hiding it because that was the last I ever saw of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the metal version and I know the thermos you're talking about. They are very cool. They had cheapened them by the time I got mine and all plastic. A metal lunchbox would have survived my exhuberation (maybe not the glass-lined thermos though). That's too bad you were never able to find it.

      Delete
  5. The joys of the lunchbox. These days I carry a very boring little cooler but some of the stores in town still sell metal lunchboxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no longer carry a lunch, working from home. In the later years, I was even more boring than that; I carried my lunch in plastic grocery bags.

      Delete
  6. Good memories! Thanks for sharing some positivity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stories! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...