Sunday, March 17, 2024

Sunday Morning Coffee

Okay, it's really Sunday afternoon, but I worked all night and went to bed at 8 a.m. this morning.

This Farberware model 206 was a recent find, although I have several in this identical or near identical design.

I couldn't find the exact manufacture date of this percolator; the references I could find online place it in the 1940's although that's a little late for a non-automatic percolator, but I guess it's possible. The patent number dates to 1932. Of course, patent dates only mean the item was manufactured some time after that, potentially years. 


The patent actually refers to the fuse design. As I mentioned, this is a non-automatic percolator which means it will not shut off after a certain amount of time and will continue perking until all coffee is evaporated; you have to unplug it.  If you forget to unplug and the percolator overheats, it will blow the fuse.  I have seen percolators with a replaceable fuse that you just exchange by taking the bottom off.  This design allows you to rotate  a wheel that moves a new fuse into place (of course, you still need to remove the bottom).
Although not original to the pot, it came with a vintage cord (neatly bundles).


People tend to freak out when they see plugs like this, but they are safe as long as there's no fraying. Not that I would plug it in and walk away, but it's fine as long as you're there monitoring you percolator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...