Monday, October 14, 2024

Disguised

When I was deciding on a Halloween costume as a kid, it was always my goal to not be recognized, whether it was through the use of mask or makeup.  I generally didn't have the scratch for a costume, so many times, it was makeup.  I've written previously about some of my failed attempts at using makeup to disguise myself.

Imagineering and other companies sold kits aimed at making kids think they could successfully disguise themselves without the need for makeup.  I recently found the remnants of some of those kits.

There's quite a variety here.  Do you go as a bloodshot-eyed clown-nosed pirate? An international man of mystery (complete with French mustache) and vampire-toothed lips?  Bespectacled nerd with flirtatious eyelashes?  So many possibilities.

I suspect you couldn't walk around took long with these as there's nothing to keep them in place other than scrunching your eyes together, clenching your teeth and balancing noses precariously so they don't fall off.



Imagineering did sell some of these pieces, such as this "Ugly Kit":


But it appears they were also sold in knock-off disguise and spy kits such as these:




Not a clown nose, but a "clownish" nose.

9 comments:

  1. I was into these too as a kid and especially when I got a video camera when I was a teen so we could make our own horror movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did any videos survive? I'm sensing a new Youtube outlet for you Todd.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Yes most of them survived, which I'm not sure is a good thing!

      Delete
  2. digging the artwork on the last one. Pirate with one bloodshot good eye, frenchie mustache, and monster lips for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the art on all of these. I especially loved the art for the Imagineering products done by Gordon Vigas. His daughter actually commented on a previous post, unfortunately, I was never able to reconnect with her to get more information.

      Delete
  3. Definitely bought a few of these as a kid. Bet they would love fun decorating a Jack O'Lantern these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So basically these are Mr. Potato Head props for real-life potato heads.

    Those el-cheapo "rack toy" kits are hilariously cheesy--For the trick-or-treater on a budget who doesn't want to risk a tanning for cutting holes in Mom's bed sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always found those bloodshot eyballs that you have to scrunch your face up to keep in, really, really useless and weird...but they do bring back memories, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...