Tuesday, February 22, 2022

"Alias" Barbarino

I decided the cure for the winter doldrums was to do some gleaning of my past finds that laid dormant and push some content through (lucky you).

First up is actually a recent find from this past weekend.  I admit I bought it strictly for the sticker alone.

The presence of this sticker says something about the publisher's confidence in the artist's singing ability.


I'm not sure what the quotes around "alias" means.  Normally, you'd take that to mean to take the word with less than complete confidence, so I'm not sure if that means he's not really alias Barabarino?


The record was originally sold by local department store Venture for $3.98 which is quite the sum for 1976. That would be $19.99 today.



The back cover features "pin-up" John Travolta.  By the way, that's just the camera flash in the crotchal region, it's not censoring anything.

The songs on the album are a mix of cover tunes by Neil Sedaka and Eric Carmen along with some originals by  Michael Lembeck of "Kaptain Kool and the Kongs" fame (if you can call it that).

Unfortunately, my principles wouldn't allow me to critique this album without actually listening to it.  So I did.  And... it wasn't horrible.  But it wasn't good either.  And there were quite a few times I laughed out loud.  Having said that, I will admit I do like his singing on the "Grease" album and have been known to belt out "Summer Nights" along with him on occasion.

The album charted and peaked at #39 on Billboard.  The song "Let Her In" topped at #10 which isn't too shabby.  You can bet the album and song were boosted mainly by female teenage fans of "Welcome Back Kotter".

Travolta did go on to have a #1 hit with the "Grease" soundtrack cut "You're the One that I Want" with Olivia Newton-John.  However, none of his songs or albums (and there were 5 more) ever charted again.


***Update*** By popular (Lady M) demand, the unspoiled long shot of John "Alias Barbarino" Travolta.

7 comments:

  1. Back cover looks like he's doing his "Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Barbarino" bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When this came out I was 4 years old and had a Sesame Street record in heavy rotation . I dare say even today I would take the music of Bert and Ernie over John Travolta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not remember this album, but I did listen to the double LP of Grease a lot back in the late 70s. He wasn't bad on that, as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang - that flash on the back is rather awkward. I was hoping to see how tight those 70's jeans were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask and you shall receive. See the updated post.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...