Monday, February 28, 2022

Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting!

I recall seeing this toy in the Sears and J. C. Penney's Christmas catalogs of my youth. I'd always assumed it was a G. I. Joe toy made by Hasbro.



They're actually "Kar-a-a-ate Men" made by Aurora and date from 1975.


The resemblance of this character to my G. I. Joe is what lead me to believe it was a Hasbro toy.  I don't believe the resemblance was coincidental.


This toy is a little like Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots, but with Karate fighters.



Each player controls his figure with 3 buttons. The left button punches, the right button chops and the middle button kicks.  Each figure has a pressure plate on its chest to register a hit.  When working properly, when hit, the receiving figure folds over backward in defeat.


And they're dirty fighters.


The Aurora company began in 1950 as a maker of model cars, airplanes and movie action figures. They are best remembered for their Universal Monster line of the 1960's which included the controversial "Victim" figure

Aurora was sold to private investors in 1969 who expanded the company to include a line of toys.  It was subsequently sold to Nabisco in 1971.  It was sold one more time before failing in the 1980's.

1 comment:

  1. i always thought these were GI Joe too! weird. maybe it's more evidence we've jumped into a parallel universe timeline, like the Berenstein Bears and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...