Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Be A Schlepper

The late '70's and early '80's were the golden years of gimmick candy, and I was a sucker for them.

From Pop Rocks to licensed candy bars like the Reggie bar to sweet tarts packed in every variety of container (coffin, sarcophagus, lunchbox, trash can, fire hydrant, locker, you name it) I eagerly handed over my quarters and gobbled them down.

I found this empty (sadly) container at an estate sale among a miscellaneous box of smalls.  I instantly recognized the Wacky Package-esque parody, but not the container.  




Apparently, these Chug-a-Can Candies were released in 1980 which while may have been at the waning end of my candy consuming days (I was 13), I'm still shocked I never saw these.

The candy was produced by Fleer in an obvious attempt to imitate Topps' Wacky Packages.

I'm not sure what kind of candy was in these and the ingredient list isn't much help. If anyone remembers what these candies were, let me know in the comments.



Apparently, some of the containers parodied beer cans, which wasn't a big hit with parents. Fleer did avoid beer parodies in later series, but then those parents took exception to the use of the word "Chug" in the product causing Fleer to rename these to "Crazy Cans".

For a look at the complete line of containers, check out this site.

***UPDATE***
Thanks to long-time lurker John, I now know that Fleer went beyond these cans and boldly infringed upon Wacky Packages in the card market as well.  Check these out.

4 comments:

  1. Don't ever recall seeing these. Quite the find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't remember these at all -- what a great find! the beer parodies are top notch. the inclusion of british ones like Ballantine is interesting,

    and of course parents freaked out about these, haha. OF COURSE. *eyeroll*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder why the parents were not enthused about the beer can candies? My parents did not seem to mind candy cigarettes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our generation of parents were pretty lenient about those things. I think we were just on the cusp of the new generation of helicopter parents that worried about everything. Reading the site that I link too, apparently after they removed the beer parodies, they took exception with the word "Chug" forcing Fleer to change the candy to "Crazy Cans".

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...