Thursday, October 8, 2026

Witch Paper Plate

Another piece of ephemera today is this Halloween paper plate featuring another witch and her familiar along with bats for good measure.  It probably dates from the 1970's when Halloween was softening from the prior scarier images.  I do like the bright neon orange colors which don't show up as well in this photo as in person. I bought this in a stack of 6 identical plates from the same estate sale as yesterday's nut cup.

8 comments:

  1. I was wondering about the witch as a caricature: when did we go from "scary witch" to "funny witch" and particularly "sexy witch" -- was in the 1960s for the sexy ones? (Have you covered this topic before??) Of course, i'm thinking of Samantha from Bewitched. She's the earliest version of a sexy witch i can think of, but there must be others in print media, if not television/movies. Love the plate. Where there's witches, there's definitely cats, and bats can't be far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a topic I've covered, but surely would if I could make a connection to a find. I believe Bewitched was inspired by "The Bell, Book and Candle" (1958) which starred Kim Novak as a sexy witch who spells Jimmy Stewart into falling in love with her. Of course, "Bell, Book and Candle" was based on "I Married a Witch" (1942) which starred Veronica Lake as the sexy witch. That was based on the book "The Passionate Witch" so maybe that is the source.

      Delete
    2. oh duh -- Bell, Book & Candle, of course. I should have remembered that. i need to stop commenting on these things before i have coffee in the morning. Kim Novak and Veronica Lake are *definitely* sexy witches. 1942 is far earlier than i would have guessed anyway. Apparently sexy witches have been around a long time!

      Delete
    3. Well, there was Glinda, but I don't know if she rose to the level of "sexy." Honestly, I'd rather hang out and drink beers with the Wicked Witch of the West than with Glinda.

      Delete
    4. Good point, Chris. I think Glinda counts as at least glamorous if not sexy.

      Delete
  2. I definitely think these look like 1970's or 1980:'s goofy graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun art! Looks like it would be a part of a good party set up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...