Monday, October 7, 2024

Spooky Stories

There's a popular meme floating around that says something to the effect of, "If you remember records on the back of cereal boxes, it's time for your prostate exam".  Well, I do, and yes it is.  And if you're a male 50 or over, you're due as well, and that's my PSA PSA (Prostate-specific antigen Public Service Announcement) for today.

I found these two records at an estate sale this summer.  I've found them before, but it's always a welcome surprise.  In fact, looking now at past posts, I did write about some others I found back in 2022. Man, my memory is going.  Well, let's revisit them again.  These records were found on the back of Honeycomb cereal and date from 1975 to 1978.

This first records is record #3 "The Hitchhiker".  That seems to be the most common one, at least from my experience of finding these.  The others are record #1 "The Headless Horseman" and #2 "The Miser's Gold".  You can listen to all three here.

Next up is "Spooky Stories".  The one I have is Record #1 "The Headless Horseman" which apparently is the same track from the above record.  

Record #2 is "Lonely, Lonely". and #3 is "The Mysterious Trailer from Space".  "The Headless Horseman" and "Lonely, Lonely" can be heard here.  "The Mysterious Trailer from Space" can be heard here.

7 comments:

  1. The Honeycomb Kids are just a tad too easily awestruck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're hanging out in a ramshackle hut in the woods. Odds are, they ain't rocket scientists.

      Delete
    2. I especially like the girl looking over her shoulder like they're listening to a Richard Pryor album (MOM: "Is that a Post Honeycombs record I hear?! Shut that trash off!")

      Delete
  2. i remember these well (oh yeah, gotta check the last time i had my prostate exam, lol), but now that i know more about the printing industry, even with the vinyl resurgence recently, i can't see any cereal company going through the trouble and expense of doing something like this now. it is really an interesting and memorable marketing idea. can you imagine how much it cost to produce ONE of these, and there's often four different ones? how was this even profitable? my mind boggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the one record is marked "Pickwick Records" which was a children's record company, so I guess they had the technology and Post just contracted it out, but yeah, I'm sure it was a pain to have 3 different boxes being made on the cereal assembly line. Maybe that's why the bulk of these are record #3. Someone got lazy.

      Delete
  3. I certainly remember records on the back of cereal boxes. All 6 of us would fight over who got the prize. I don't, as the 2nd to youngest, think I ever won.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember them all, too. And no worries, I am on top of my prostate health. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...