Monday, April 20, 2015

Dirty Books

I found these filthy, nasty books in the basement of a house at a recent estate sale.  No, the content wasn't filthy, the books themselves were.  The edges of the pages were covered in mold and other things I don't want to think about, but I liked the covers and they were cheap.

"The Hardy Boys, What Happened at Midnight"...stays at Midnight? Copyright 1931.


The first chapter is entitled, "The Automat".  I might have to read this one.  Where are my rubber gloves?



Tom Sawyer Detective and Other Stories.  Copyright 1924.

The "Other Stories" are "The Stolen White Elephant", "Some Rambling Notes of an Idle Excursion", "The Facts Concerning the Recent Carnival of Crime in Connecticut", "About Magnanimous-Incident Literature", and "Punch, Brothers, Punch".  I'm guessing more than a few young boys were lured by the cover only to be disappointed in the content.



I found this used as a bookmark inside.  They didn't get very far.


2 comments:

  1. I used to love The Hardy Boys books when I was a boy! Don't recall this story, but I could have read it at some point. Be careful with the mold! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, of the contaminants on these books, mold might be the least harmful. I don't plan to hang onto them. I tried to clean them, but I think they're too far gone.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...