Saturday, November 7, 2015

Baby Endangerment

We did a lot of things in the past that when looked upon with today's viewpoint seem negligent or even outright dangerous: riding in the back of pickup trucks, jumping off of rooftops (speaking from experience here), or, Heaven forbid, walking to the park alone.  You know, the kind of things you always find on those lists that begin with, "You were a child of the (50's, 60's, 70's, 80's) if..."

I bought a box of slides at a sale a couple weekends ago and was struck by a few images.  50 years ago, there wouldn't have been a second thought about these.  They say ignorance is bliss.  Sometimes, it sure seems that way.

Baby in proximity to alcohol.

Turkey leg presents choking hazard.  Bonus: Hot cups of coffee being carried over baby by person whose apron clearly illustrates her inability to balance them.

Smoking while pregnant


Hand baby to crazy aunt with nicotine-stained hands and no knowledge of how to hold a baby.


Eye gouging causes man to reflexively throw baby down

Leave baby with your drunk brother-in-law

Wide slatted baby beds, perfect for entangling limbs and heads.

Prop baby on flimsy metal table on concrete slab.

Allow baby to slap family dog

Stand baby by dog who's clearly had it up to *here* with the slapping

That cap probably won't come off.

9 comments:

  1. Tee hee - my family still has babies in close proximity to alcohol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did order the pictures in order by level of danger. So being first, that was the least threatening.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I posted under my wife's login. Anyway, your captions are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn, I thought I had a new reader! Thanks anyway, Bob!

      Delete
  4. The baby on the patio table is the best. I love those lamps in the living room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe those lamps were at that sale, but were gone by the time I got there.

      Delete
    2. Whoa, those lamps were there?!! Talk about a score and a half—I wonder who snatched 'em?

      Delete
    3. A 20-something girl. She paid $75 a piece for them. I saw her leaving when I arrived.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...