Friday, October 16, 2020

Witch Jack O' Lantern Blow Mold

A couple weekends ago I headed out garage saling by myself for the first time in a long time.  Normally, my wife and any number of my kids will go along, but they were all busy that particular morning.  I took one of my old routes I hadn't visited this summer and it paid off. I found a lot of vintage items which I plan to blog about after the Countdown is over, but one of the items was Halloween related.

This pumpkin blow mold sporting a jauntily worn witch's hat is smaller than my other jack o' lantern blow molds.  It measures 8" tall and only about 6" across.


It was made by Empire Plastics, a subsidiary of Carolina Enterprises, and dates from 1981.


It's a fun piece and unlike any of my previous blow molds, so it's a welcome addition.

Blow molds as a collectible were pretty cold up until about 5 years ago. They've really taken off this past year as far as prices go, so it's getting harder to find them this cheap (I paid 50 cents).  These smaller ones particularly go for good money because they're easier to store than the larger ones.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great find! Blow molds are so cool, I need to get some again as they were a big pt of my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandparents had a Jack O' Lantern on a cat blow mold and I have good memories of that being displayed at Halloween. I think it was their only Halloween decoration. It was probably the first blow mold I found garage saling.

      Delete
  2. i particularly like how distressed the paint is, in all the right places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Wear on these pieces serve to only enhance them. But, fading is another thing. These orangle blow molds will wash out to almost yellow in the sun, so they are best displayed inside.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...