Monday, October 4, 2021

Hallmark -- When You Scare Enough to Send the Very Best

Next to latex masks, the other Halloween disguise I longed for was the packaged Halloween makeup that was sold at stores like Ben Franklin and Venture (a local discount department store).  I imagined myself as a vampire, layered in white pancake makeup, black circles under my eyes, hair dyed black with a widow's peak, fangs in place and blood dripping down my mouth. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the specialty makeup and only had access to my mother's excess makeup.  That meant I had to make do with foundation powder, eyeliner and lipstick.  One year, I attempted a werewolf with that assortment.  Trust me, it didn't work.

My memories of Halloween makeup are of the vast varieties of Imagineering props, blood and makeup.

Who knew that in the 1980's, card company Hallmark dabbled in Halloween makeup?  Well, I didn't.



I'm pretty sure these two wouldn't have looked out of place on any day of the year in the 1980's.





I like the note that the ingredients used in the makeup are "generally recognized as safe".

*Edit* JohnONeill0505 made an excellent observation in the comments below.  I complete missed the cautionary "DO NOT USE BLUE MAKEUP AROUND MOUTH" warning.  I'm assuming it contained Cadmium which is a cancer risk when ingested.

Next up is this Tooth Black-out makeup.  Not sure there are many applications for this beyond "hillbilly".


Hallmark headed off that assumption by offering additional suggestions for use such as warts and...other creative applications?


The card art for this "Fun Fake Blood" looks more like a paint ball target.  I much prefer the design of the Imagineering Vampire Blood.



These "Claw Nails" remind me of the Monster Claws I blogged about a couple years ago.


Provides hours of wearing fun


I couldn't find any information on these makeup kits, so I'm guessing it may have been a one-year test run that didn't pan out.  Better stick to cards, Hallmark.

13 comments:

  1. What happens if you use the blue makeup around the mouth?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, they said the ingredients are GENERALLY recognized as safe. But let's not get crazy.

      Delete
  2. that makeup is so 80s it hurts -- pearlescent pastels? omg.

    the other use for tooth black besides "hillbilly" is "hobo," both of which are now frowned upon. not sure why anyone would need that nowadays.

    achievement unlocked: your dad-joke pun skill level is now at maximum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >achievement unlocked: your dad-joke pun skill level is now at maximum!
      YES!

      Delete
  3. I love how you can reuse the tooth black out. After all, its has just been in ones mouth for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure there are many applications for [Tooth Black-Out] beyond "hillbilly".

    There's also hockey player, boxer, and Amy Winehouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, l'hockey player, boxer, and amy winehouse, good call!

      Delete
  5. Looks like the couple on the "Party Makeup" packaging are supposed to bring to mind Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman from the Beauty and the Beast TV series (Eighties version, natch).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my immediate thought too and then thought, nah, I'm putting too much thought into it. Glad you confirmed my suspicions.

      Delete
    2. the George R.R. Martin era, naturally. CLASSIC.

      Delete
  6. I was never able to get any Halloween makeup to ever come out like the packaging purported it would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had the same issue with the Imagineering Scar Stuff and Vampire Blood. Never could figure out how to make it look like they did.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...