Thursday, October 21, 2021

When Horror Pops Up

When I was a kids, my grandparents bought me a Western pop up book. Full of pull-tab gun fights and pop up ghost towns, the mechanics of it fascinated me.

This "Classic Tales of Horror" Pop-up book published in 1988 was after my time, but I would have been all over it as a kid.

I posted pictures of before and after pull tabs and opening windows below:



Opening and closing this page causes the fangs to bite.



My favorite page, of course, is The Legend of Sleep Hollow.  It would have been nice if they a pull tab to that caused the Headless Horseman to launch a Jack O' Lantern at Ichabod.





A little hard to see from the text, but this is of course from Edgar Allen Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum".




And lastly, in a nod to a post a couple days ago, The Phantom of the Opera makes his appearance...and reveal!



4 comments:

  1. That's a fun book. The illustrations are quite good. The Pit and the Pendulum would have given me the willies as a kid. My favorite gory book back in my youth was the All Color Book of Saints. Lots of scary scenes in there of stonings and torture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poe was definitely the master of the macabre. That All Color Book of Saints would have worth the price just for the Joan of Arc page!

      Delete
  2. Almost positive I've seen this book before but can't remember where or when lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...