Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Chalk One Up for the Owls

I found this chalkware owl at a garage sale over the summer.  I was shocked to find it, because it was the only vintage piece among a bunch of newer Halloween decorations.

He's flat on the back.


Chalkware dates to the 18th century, but gained popularity in America during the mid 1900's from the 1940's through the 60's. If I had to guess, I would say this piece dates squarely in there.  Much of it was given away as carnival prizes, similar to plush stuffed animals today.  

I don't know if this was originally intended as a Halloween piece, but it sure works as one.

5 comments:

  1. Wow - what a beauty. I never won anything that great at a carnival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid, carnivals were handing out cheap plastic toys which, don't get me wrong, I loved. But I was always fascinated with the old shows where kids would win those large chalkware lamps and statues.

      Delete
  2. it's funny how chalkware has fallen so thoroughly out of favor, but i'm guessing that the reason is, as always, that plastic versions are cheaper and lighter, more durable, and more profitable.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...