Saturday, October 28, 2023

Garfield Out of Context (and Horrifying)


When I saw this puzzle at a garage sale, my mind immediately thought "Garfield is holding the severed head of John."

Maybe it's me, but that's where my mind goes.  It doesn't help that he's grasping John's hair in the standard severed head grasp.

A minor internet sensation back in 2008, "Garfield Minus Garfield" depicted the daily Garfield strip minus it's titular orange cat, making it appear John had completely lost his mind. For example, Exhibit A:


Exhibit B:


And Exhibit C (John looks like he was drawn by Ed Roth):


"Garfield Minus Garfield" is still around.

The puzzle I found is decidedly funnier with Garfield present.  It's actually funnier as a standalone, no text required.


Look on the bright side, John. At least the madness is over.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I like where you're going, Lady M. If only I was better at editing pictures...

      Delete
  2. "Garfield Minus Garfield" - I forgot all about that! I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh!! I missed this one.

    I really miss this phase of Garfield's design, before Jim Davis decided to make him "cuter" (better to slap on endless merchandise), and gave him those wide eyes and Daffy Duck feet. Big fat hairy deal, as the tubby tabby would remark.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...