Thursday, October 19, 2023

Halloween by Brach's

Technically, I'm not cheating on "Mondays are to Die(cut) For" as these aren't die cuts.

I found these cardboard store displays at an estate sale laying on the floor of a bedroom, unnoticed by the throngs of people passing through.  I recognized them immediately as Halloween store displays, but wasn't sure what display or company they belonged to, although I had a hunch they were Brach's as the art looked familiar.



My daughter was able to find them online and they do in fact belong to a Brach's Halloween candy display from 1969.


As you can see, the owl and cat perched on the witch's hat.

During my research for this post, I came across another Brach's store display that utilized these same cat and owl pieces.  This brochure is for an elaborate display piece that Brach's would push as a point of sale item that included a spinning witch.  Glorious.


I also found this photo online showing a lesser version of above Brach's display, also utilizing this same owl, but a different cat.


I've found other Brach's advertising pieces online that bear a resemblance and are likely by the same artist such as this one.


I miss the days of the large holiday-themed store displays.  They were just another thing to remind you Halloween was approaching and added to the excitement.  Here's some more Brach's Halloween candy advertising I was able to dig up.  Enjoy.








Man, I miss those Mellocremes.  They still have the pumpkins, but Brach's no longer sells the different shapes like cats, bats, witches, etc.  If you don't recall these, here's some off-brand Mellocremes you can still buy.




As much as I liked those pieces, I did end up selling them to a couple people who had the larger display, but were missing the accessory items.  It's good to reunite them.

5 comments:

  1. wow, that spinning witch would be amazing to see. i like Brach's candies, but wouldn't dare to give them out. That would brand our house as "the house with terrible candy" for YEARS, lol. But in defense of Brach's i'll point out that if you mix candy corn with roasted, salted peanuts, you have something that tastes like Payday bars. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >if you mix candy corn with roasted, salted peanuts, you have something that tastes like Payday bars.
      Yes, been a staple in our house for years. I even introduced them at work and got people hooked.

      Delete
    2. haha, i should've known you'd be up on that one. it's delicious!

      Delete
  2. Great finds, and great research. Love all the old ads. Miss the creative displays, too. Now, it's just stacked cases of candy. No imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, all about maximizing sales floor space. No room for fun displays.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...