Monday, October 30, 2023

Mondays are to Die (cut) For - Beistle Scaredy Cat

Welcome to final "Mondays are to Die (cut) For".  Boy, that went fast.

This classic Beistle design is the "Scaredy Cat" and was another purchase at the Halloween collector estate sale.  This one is a large version measuring 16" x 15".  He's a little worse for wear, but a survivor, much like an old Tom cat who's been through a life of cat fights and missing a few pieces from his ear. I couldn't find this one in my reference books, but I would guess he's from the 1950's.


Most people would pass on a diecut in this condition, but much like this piece I bought a couple years ago.

Beistle (H.E. Luhrs) 1950-1965

As you can see, he's torn in a couple different places.  Because of that, the seller gave it to me for free. I repaired if from behind.  As brittle as it is, I just couldn't see throwing it out. Someone thought enough to save it all these years and it made it this far.

And we've made it this far.  Just a couple more days.

4 comments:

  1. love the first one! actually quite frightening. i think the style looks older than 1950s, especially when shown next to the other one that you have a more positive date on, but you are the expert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it's a little older than the '50's, but a lot of designs were carried over from decade to decade, so I tend to be conservative on my guesses. I'm actually not certain it's a Beistle either, just a safe bet since they dominated the market. I did see a Jack O' Lantern by another company in a similar style (the bright contrasting lines for eyelashes/whiskers) that dated to the 30's, so it could be much older.

      Delete
    2. i actually was thinking 1930s, so that's interesting...!

      Delete
  2. Awesome. And kudos to you for rescuing it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...