Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Sunni Enlightenment

I previously wrote about Bud the Bus Driver's estate sale where I found the sealed box of vintage animal crackers. Bud and his wife also had a nice collection of vintage Halloween.  Among it, I found these 2 Suni candles which were produced in the late 1970's and early 80's.

I wrote a little about the Gurley company and few years ago and their comparison to Suni candles.  At that time, I had the same ghost, but not the witch.  I also didn't know anything about the Suni candle company.  This sale changed that because of another candle I found with these two.


That Jack O' Lantern candle is also a Sunni candle, but it has it's label still.


So I now know that Suni was a division of W&F Manufacturing Company.  I've written about W&F several times over the year.  They were makers of wax novelties such as the Wowe-e Whistle, Nik-L-Nips, Wax Teeth and Wax Lips.  They also operated as Gurley Candle.  So the similarities in their candle designs is no longer a mystery.  Apparently, W&F operated under several names including their own name, Tavern, Gurley, Glenn Confections, and we now know also under Suni.

6 comments:

  1. So they are all the same company?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently. News to me. I suspect some may have been separate companies that Gurley eventually bought up and kept the old company name around.

      Delete
  2. These are giving major grade school nostalgia vibes but I'm remembering Thanksgiving ones instead of Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't come across Suni Thanksgiving candles, but yes, Gurley made Thanksgiving ones. I have a few of those as well.

      Delete
  3. Never saw Halloween candles as a kid, would have loved them. We just had the Christmas choir singers, slowly melting a little more every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some of the choir singers as well. They were made by Gurley.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...