Monday, October 30, 2023

The Heyer Cartoon and Idea Book - Halloween

I'm going to try squeezing in a few last minute items these last couple days.  First up is the Heyer Cartoon and Idea Book. A little like the advertising slick's I found a few years ago, this book gives ideas and images you can borrow to festoon your flyers, ads, school announcements, etc.  I found these at a garage sale for $1.  I'm not sure of the exact date, but I don't think they're any later than the 1940's given the fashions shown.




I find this image the most disturbing.  A boy wields a knife, a dog looks nervously on. The emanata (yes, I had to look that up) around the dog's tail. rather than indicating wagging. makes me think it's the target for this boy's knife. RUN FIDO!

4 comments:

  1. I think that boy is a dangerous little turd but he is going to carve that pumpkin I am guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evidently, the publishers didn't quite understand the concept of a "clip art" book, and the shading and detail on many of the images belie their 'Easy to Trace' promise. Given the quaint style of the artwork and that the manual was intended to be kept intact, I would place this as originating from the Twenties or Thirties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Top Cat. They do seem fairly complex for simple tracing. And I agree, 20's to 30's is the era I'm thinking.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...